Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Lemon On: Realistic fiction

(Note: This is the beginning of a series of blogs where Nerd and I talk about random book trends feel free to skip)


escapism |iˈskāpˌizəm|

noun

the tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, esp. by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy.

There are many teen books. More then half of these are fantasies and it's pretty obvious why. While teen-hood itself is only a mildly unpleasant reality, from the inside it's the emotionally manipulative torture you must face before college. The reason for this post is actually pretty stupid, but it made me start thinking about trends in books and other stuff that will come up later. The is that while I was reading Dream Chaser, I realized it was the first realistic book I had read in like two months. I realized that while wondering why no one was flying or rising from the dead by the second chapter. The question is, why the loss of realistic-fiction for teens? At this point it seems to be coming back, riding with using topics that are “taboo” such as eating disorders, suicide and depression (another trend I like). Hopefully it's here to stay, joining fantasy-romance-comedy and post-apocalyptic series as genres I'll read any day. More on the post-apocalyptic stuff later.

No comments:

Post a Comment